Young people are at far greater risk of becoming homeless if:
- Their parents engage in substance abuse or have mental health problems.
- They suffered or witnessed child abuse or neglect in the home.
- The family has been homeless previously.
- They identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.
- They have been in foster care.
- Children who have been in foster care are at greater risk of becoming homeless at an earlier age and to remain homeless for a longer period of time than other youth.