The Family Crisis Intervention Unit is a county funded program within Harbor House, offering free counseling and case management services to Ocean County residents. Our counselors are trained and qualified to intervene in family crises, working with juveniles ages 10 to 18 years old and their families. At the Family Crisis Intervention Unit we aim to divert cases involving juvenile family crises from the courts by providing our families with the counseling, case management, and referral assistance needed to stabilize the immediate family crisis. Our counselors work to maintain a network of services and county agencies including police, schools, physicians, substance abuse services, and other juvenile agencies to coordinate services for our families.
Family Crisis Intervention Unit (FCIU)
- Individual, sibling, and family counseling
- On and off site services including crisis management at schools, police stations, and in-home
- Case management and referrals
- 24 Hour on-call services for families in crisis
- Court referrals in coordination with Juvenile/Family Court Intake after all FCIU and community services have been exhausted
Court approved, out-of-home placements are for extreme circumstances and require the FCIU office to prove that all other community resources have been exhausted before being presented in front of the judge.
What is a Juvenile Family Crisis?
A Juvenile Family Crisis is a behavior, conduct, or condition of a juvenile, or other family member which results in:
- A serious threat to the well-being and safety of the juvenile
- A serious conflict between a parent or guardian & juvenile regarding rules of conduct which has been exhibited by a repeated disregard for parental authority
- An unauthorized absence by a juvenile for more than 24 hours from his/her home
- A pattern of repeated, unauthorized absences from school
- An act if which committed by an adult would constitute prostitution or any offenses related to being a victim of human trafficking
- Additionally, FCIU can be utilized for diversion in cases including, but not limited to disorderly persons, sexting, or posting of sexual images by a juvenile.
Who Can Make Referrals?
Any individual who becomes aware of a crisis involving a youth and his or her family may make a referral.
What are your hours of operation?
Monday through Thursday – 9am to 8pm
Friday – 9am to 5pm
On call services available 24 hours a day
Phone: 732-240-3638 Fax: 732-240-3726
Emergency After Hours Phone: 732-281-0822
Are you available 24 hours in case of an emergency?
Yes. We provide on call services that are available 24 hours a day at (732) 240-3638.
We also provide Emergency After Hours support at (732) 281-0822.
Where is the Family Crisis Intervention Unit (FCIU) located?
We are located within Harbor House’s Youth Shelter at 2445 Windsor Avenue, Toms River, NJ 08753.