Resident Counselor / Overnight Counselor: Full-time
JOB OPENING: Residential Counselor / Overnight Counselor ~ full-time
Description of the Position:
Under the supervision of the Residential Supervisor & Program Director, provides shift coverage, life skills activities and youth supervision activities.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assists in the maintenance of 24-hour coverage.
- Provides direct supervision of residents during assigned shift.
- Meets shift coverage responsibilities, including but not limited to coordination of daily/shift activities, meals, recreation activities, educational activities, transportation, etc.
- Assists in providing crisis intervention services including hotline calls, drop-in services and responding to resident issues.
- Assists in completing screening and intake activities.
- Develops and implements weekly life skills activities for participating youth/residents.
- Attends employee supervision meetings, monthly Residential Staff Meetings, and weekly treatment team meetings as scheduled.
- Attends staff trainings as required.
- Completes progress notes, reports, data entries and other paperwork as needed.
- Completes other related duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Two (2) years of college credits or Associates Degree, and at least one year’s experience working with youth, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- **Education and experience will be considered on an equal basis.
License and Skills:
- Must have a valid New Jersey’s Drives License
- Attention to Detail, Presentation skills, good written and oral communication skills, problem resolutions, organization
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be able to use basic computer application to include Microsoft Office, Outlook and the internet.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate or loud. Employees will be in a housing environment with multiple clients and staff.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, walk; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.